Monday, November 1, 2010

Emissions Testing

I've been writing my personal history and it has really made me aware of how many things my mother had to do that we no longer have to do. My mother washed with a wringer washer and hung the clothes on the clothesline to dry. My mother made her own laundry soap out of lye and mutton tallow. My mother had a coal furnace and had to take out the "clinkers" twice a day. My mother mowed the lawn with a push mower, and I mean the old-fashioned kind that only went forward when you provided all the power. My mother watered her garden with irrigation water that ran down a little ditch at the back of our property. She could only use that water when it was her "turn", and that was twice a week at a specified time -- often for an hour during the middle of the night. My mother didn't have a garbage disposal, but rather scraped all our food scraps into a bucket which my dad carried out to feed the pigs. My mother didn't have access to a car except one afternoon per week. My mother was amazing! BUT, there were also some things that my mother DIDN'T have to do, and occasionally I have a day where I spend most of it doing the things my mother didn't have to do. And that is really annoying. Today I had to do only one of them, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't want to trade places with my mother.

2 comments:

Deepa said...

Oh..Judy,you're back!!Iam so glad that you started posting again.I used to visit occassionally to see if you've started writing again and would go back disappointed.The visit this time gave me a good surprise :)

Love from India,
Deepa

Sharon said...

Hello old friend! Several months ago Gerald brought me a copy of your Sept 29, 2008 posting because it had come up when he Googled my name. I had totally forgotten about the bread incident until reliving it in your post. We tried to find you on line, but only read that you had suffered a heart attack. We were afraid you were gone. Life seems a little better tonight because we see you are still with us. We live in Orange Cnty CA now. I love to quilt, do genealogy, and work at the NBch Temple with Gerald. How has time flown so swiftly? Makes one grateful life is eternal. All our love to you and Randy.

Sharon and Gerald Dayley