Saturday, November 13, 2010

Granola


I got up this morning and couldn't even eat breakfast until I made a new batch of granola. Randy and I both love this recipe. It's great with yogurt, great with milk and fruit, great sprinkled on ice cream, and Randy loves to sit down with a bowl full just to snack on while he watches TV. It's my daughter-in-law's recipe. They live in the same ward with Mitt Romney. A few years ago they gave the Romneys some for Christmas. They liked it so much they got the recipe, made up huge batches of it, and took it on the campaign trail with them. Enjoy!

8 cups regular rolled oats (no instant oats)
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups chopped almonds
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
Toss the above ingredients well.

Bring to a boil the following ingredients:
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
Pour over granola and toss well. Pour onto baking sheets (will fill two large sheets). Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Stir and return to oven for an additional 5 minutes. Cool and store in air-tight container.

4 comments:

ellen said...

I made some a few weeks ago; I LOVE this granola!

Carly said...

Sis. Petersen thank you so much for having us for dinner last Sunday. Everything was amazing! It was so nice to visit with you and your husband, and I keep dreaming about this granola! I can't wait to make it:)

Carly Lisonbee

Marcia said...

Thanks for sharing that granola recipe. Oh my! We made it and shared it with our neighbors and friends for Christmas. It was a huge hit! Of course we had to share the bit about Mitt Romney loving it too. Love it! Thanks for starting up your blog again. You are inspirational and fun. You might think you are sharing things that aren't too exciting for others to read but I get a lot of good ideas from you. I love reading about your family too... I would love to have the Esplins address to send them a Christmas card. Loved hearing that they just had their 5th. You appear to be doing amazing after your stroke. I've just wondered what sort of challenges you've had since then. You look like it hasn't slowed you down one bit. Thanks for sharing your life with us because we ARE interested. :) Marcia

Marcia said...

I thought my blogger info would come up with my comment but it didnt. This is Marcia Slichta. slichtafamily@yahoo.com