Thursday, December 9, 2010

Behind Every Good Man is a Good Woman

Today I hosted our annual Christmas luncheon for the bishops' wives. I really look forward to this each year. I was rather surprised when the doorbell rang and I opened it to find two women on the porch and directly behind them stood the guy who had installed our kitchen cabinets. We've been waiting for him to show up for weeks. Wouldn't you know it? We're all about timing around here. So he and Randy were poking about, opening and shutting cabinets and holding my kitchen hostage. Fortunately, by the time we had finished our wassail and were ready to get serious about food they were finished and out the door.

In years past we have moved to the living room after lunch and shared our ideas about a particular topic. This year I thought it would be fun if each sister had a different topic, so I had them each draw a slip of paper with their discussion topic on it. These were the questions:

1. Tell about a miracle that has occurred in your ward.
2. How do you respond when you hear someone criticize your husband or your ward?
3. Tell us about your best ward activity.
4. Tell us about someone from your ward who could benefit from our faith and prayers.
5. Tell us a cute story about your bishop.
6. Tell us one way your life has been blessed because your husband is the bishop.
7. Tell us about a recent convert in your ward.
8. Tell us about a youth (or youths) in your ward who has done something good or notable.
9. Tell us what is really unique about your ward.

I felt a little piece of heaven as we sat around the fireplace, bound together in love by an experience we are all sharing. I was so impressed by the insights these women shared about their lives, their husbands, their wards, their experiences. It is plainly true that behind every good man there's a good woman! I count myself blessed to have them as friends.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I wish I had been invited, but then that would mean my husband would have had to be bishop.... Is Ken Fisher not the bishop anymore or did Yolanda not come?

Judy said...

Yolanda is in the picture. Second from the right, front row.