Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Garden Experiment

When I first became interested in gardening my next door neighbor was my mentor, always encouraging, reassuring me that nothing was final and that things could be moved and changed later. As an example, she told me of a woman who changed her garden every year. If the roses were in front one year, she moved them to the back the next, then moved the hostas along the fence, the day lillies from the walkway to the back porch, etc. I've become that woman! Every year I work my little fingers to the bone and think the yard is finally just perfect, but by the end of summer I realize that the Forget Me Nots are getting too much sun, the berm is over-crowded, the Scotch Broom didn't survive the winter, and the white Clematis doesn't look good next to the white Rose of Sharon. It reminds me of the scripture from 2 Timothy about "ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."
So here is this year's "seeking for knowledge." When I created this flower bed years ago, it was underneath the ash tree and, therefore, a shady bed. Over the years the tree has struggled and is now only HALF a tree. As a result, this bed is now a sunny bed. While it looks beautiful in the spring with the lush hostas, by mid-July, the hostas are burned and riddled with holes where the slugs have feasted on them.
I think the flower beds at the Nauvoo Temple are so beautiful and have wanted to learn to create something like them. While I have neither the budget the temple has, nor the manpower, I have made a change. At this stage, it's hard to believe that it could ever become the beautiful bed of annuals I'm hoping for, but you'll be seeing how it progresses as the summer moves along. Right now we just need some sun and some warmer temperatures in order to get things growing!

1 comment:

Tristen said...

It's breathtaking, can't wait to see it grow! I cannot believe (now that I'm tuned into the gardening thing) how much work goes into making a garden grow, I'm still afraid of flowers/ not ready to invest in a rental like that/ wondering if they would actually grow for me! Thanks for sharing, maybe I'll start working my little patch in the front yard to see what I can learn this year. Thanks!