Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Man I Married


When you have to "sign in" to get into your own blog you know it's past time to post a new blog. I've been trying all week to write something about Randy. Why should it be so hard to write about somebody I love so much?! On Wednesday we celebrated our 44th Wedding Anniversary, and yesterday was Randy's birthday. Two good reasons to tell the world what a great man he is.

Divorce is such a terrible thing and I always feel sad for those who find out that the spouse they thought was so perfect turned out to be less than they had hoped for. For me, it was just the opposite. I'm honestly so grateful for heavenly guidance. I don't think I was smart enough to realize that when I agreed to marry Randy I was getting WAY MORE than I expected! It's hard for me to express what I think about my sweet husband, but I will share something that I wrote in my journal twenty-nine years ago

"Randy has been going through a challenging time the past few months. I have been thinking today of his many successes. It helps me to see with better perspective what a great man he is.

Successes & Strengths:

1. Passed through teen years without giving in to peer pressures. These days it seems there is something glamorous about having strayed or rebelled and returning. We sometimes forget that having remained faithful and true is still more honorable.
2. Eagle Scout
3. Filled honorable mission. Has to his credit (with Lord's help) several converts who have remained active and faithful and are a strength to the Church.
4. Married ME! In the temple!
5. Graduated from college.
6. Graduated from Law School.
7. Graduated from Library School.
8. Fathered six WONDERFUL children
9. Served as Branch President at BYU, providing strong leadership and counsel to many students.
10. Served on three high councils.
11. Served as Sunday School President.
12. Received Master M-Men Award.
13. Nominated to Outstanding Young Men of America.
14. Was a successful and beloved seminary teacher.
15. Owns a beautiful home.
16. Musically talented -- much envied for his beautiful singing voice and guitar.
17. Has traveled widely.
18. Always had more friends than he could even foster and nurture. Associated with highest calibre people. Respected and envied by them.
19. Completed extensive scout training, including Philmont and Woodbadge.
20. Skilled with hands. Builds and repairs everything.
21. Very diversified -- known as a person who knows something about everything.
22. Remains calm in crisis and is sympathetic and compassionate. The children always prefer Daddy when ill or injured."

Now, that was written in 1982 when we'd only been married 15 years and before I realized what a Giant he is. He's magnified every gift and talent, served in incredible ways, and exceeded all my expectations. I'm trying very hard to hold onto his shirt tail!

3 comments:

ellen said...

You are both amazing!!!

La Asistente said...

Happy belated birthday to a down to earth guy. So glad we are considered friends.

Aprilyn said...

Well, happy birthday to Randy, and Happy Anniversary to you both