Friday, April 20, 2012

Gratitude

I just finished reading Stephanie Nielsen's new book Heaven is Here. Although I've not been a faithful follower of her blog, I have periodically updated myself about what is going on in her life. Kristin gave me the book for my birthday, and I loved every page of it. It is amazing to me that someone who has suffered so much pain and sorrow, and who has had to deal with criticism, rejection, and judgment from others has maintained such an attitude of optimism and gratitude. To hear her expressions of gratitude for the ability to open her eyes, sit up, poop, kiss her husband, have her children willing to look at her, to be able to fold laundry, sleep in the same bed with her husband, or button a child's coat all combined to help me see just how blessed my life has been. I'm thankful for fingers that bend,
for eyebrows (even if they are not dark, well defined and shaped), for the privilege of fixing lunch, doing yard work, taking out the trash, using a computer (hopefully I will never forget the first time Quinn placed a laptop in front of me after my stroke. I placed my hands over the keyboard and when I looked at the monitor there was just line after line of jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjs. I cried about it more than a little bit and wondered if I would ever type again), eating in a restaurant without people staring at me (Well, sometimes they do stare, but not because I've been burned -- more likely my wacko hair is sticking out on one side or my SAS grandma shoes don't look particularly "fetching" with my outfit). Most of all, I'm grateful for a loving husband and a wonderful family of accomplished, righteous children and grandchildren.

Rob, Randy and his family have been with us this week. Last week we were with Heidi and her family, and squished in between Kristin and Emily were here for a few days. I love my little pillow that says, "The best things in life aren't things." Family and other relationships will always be the greatest things in our lives.
As we traveled with Randy and his family through Europe last summer we ate at least one Magnum ice cream bar every day. Now we have found them in the grocery store here, and for old times sake, we downed a few boxes together. One more thing to be grateful for!

1 comment:

ellen said...

I'm reading "Heaven is Here" too. :)
Now I know where JP is. I had a feeling they were traveling.