Monday, May 7, 2012

Musical Torture

Okay, I'm going to post a blog before I go to bed, and I don't even have a picture to go with it.  I've had a giant overdose of opera this week.  Some friends of ours sing with the Naperville Community Choir.  They had a big concert on Saturday night and to support them, we purchased tickets.  It turned out to be an evening of  choruses from the Operas.  I have to confess that there are really only three kinds of music that I don't care for -- hard rock, organ music, and opera, which is strange because growing up I played in an orchestra that played for at least six or seven operas.  Being in the orchestra pit does little to help you appreciate the plot or what is going on, but the choruses are rousing and most of the ones they did that night were enjoyable.

Today Randy received an email from a colleague who had two tickets to the Chicago Civic Orchestra which she couldn't use and hoped someone might be available to use them.  We love the Civic Orchestra and haven't been for a while so we told her we would use them.  She told us it was LaBoheme and the Marriage of Figgaro, but it wasn't until we arrived that we discovered it was a collaborative performance by the orchestra and the Ryan Opera Center.  We sat through 90 minutes of Acts 2 and 3 in Italian.  If I had known, I would have declined the tickets.  I do feel more cultured tonight, but please, no more opera for a few months!  (I promise something more interesting next time--something like cleaning out the garage).

No comments: