Thursday, November 27, 2008

How to Scale Back Thanksgiving

With Britt barely getting back on her feet and with four little boys to care for and all that comes with that, we decided to have a "scaled-back" Thanksgiving this year. Grandpa flew in from Chicago, which was perhaps even more exciting than Thanksgiving itself. We thought about going to Boston Market, but couldn't quite wrap our arms around the idea of having no left overs, or having a house that smelled like nothing better than Cheerios or peanut butter sandwiches, or having no pie for tomorrow's breakfast. My mother-in-law always cooked a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner and I've spent my entire life trying to "measure up," and actually think I've done a pretty good job. When my daughter called this morning I felt a little sheepish admitting that we were having Stove Top dressing, Rhodes rolls, and sweet potatoes from Boston Market. I was somewhat comforted when she told me that 90% of American families considered that to be a "fabulous" Thanksgiving dinner.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy: We miss you on the BYU Alumni Board. Hope your Thanksgiving was the best! Your family picture is great.

I am Laura said...

I hate homemade stuffing. I love stove top. I would rather have homemade rolls, but rhodes rolls are fabulous. I am sure it was great.

Mama Williams said...

Leftovers are the best part about Thanksgiving. Grandma was always good at adding 15 side dishes. Scaled back from that is OK. (and we did Mrs. Cubbinson's dressing from a box too)
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

gollyjess said...

I think the best part of your Thanksgiving is knowing that "Grandpa is here" is even more important than the leftovers. But leftovers are pretty good too.

Aprilyn said...

I don't eat stuffing. I've never liked it. I also don't know how to make homemade rolls. I'm going to attempt that soon. :) So, our dinner at my mother-in-law's was Rhodes Rolls as well.
Happy Last Day of November!