Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chicago's Biggest Dump






Wow! Our phones and internet connection are finally working again. For the past two days we've been recovering from what is purported to be Chicago's biggest storm. Not that we've never had more snow than this. We remember years when we had so much snow we had to shovel it off the roof to keep the roof from crashing in and the kids could jump off the roof into the snow below with no danger of injury. But that was an accumulation of multiple storms. This was one single "dump". It's hard to know really how deep it is because there was so much blowing and drifting. In some places it's only eight or ten inches deep, but in other places it is four to five feet deep.

We knew this storm was coming and had taken steps to be prepared. Our refrigerator was stuffed to overflowing, we had extra gas on hand, and alternative ways of heating. By Monday night we were prepared to hunker down here and wait it out. Then Tuesday morning I was trying to do something on my computer and couldn't figure it out. I checked on-line and there was an open One to One appointment for that very afternoon. Should I try it? Would it be foolish? I took a quick look out the window. The roads weren't snow-packed yet, so I grabbed the spot. When I got to the Apple store I was greeted by 20-30 blue-shirted employees who gave a great round of applause for the little lady who had the guts to drag her computer through a blizzard to get help. I think I was the only person in the store for that hour. Wanna know how it feels to have 30 computer geniuses looking over your shoulder while you work?!

Randy spent about seven hours yesterday with the snow blower -- first our driveway, and then, along with a group of other men in the neighborhood, up and down our street until every driveway was open. I'm just hoping that an equally dedicated crew is working at Midway Airport to make sure those runways are cleared for take-off on Saturday. I'm out of here!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Thanks for posting the pictures--wow! Amazing.

La Asistente said...

Have great fun during the quilting weekend.

Most temple workers today were seen massaging sore back and shoulder muscles--a left over from yesterday and tired, worn out bodies. Glad Randy had a snow blower!

Aprilyn said...

Dang! You guys really DID get a huge storm. It wasn't that bad here in Missouri, though my kids had all but Friday off school due to the storm. We had freezing rain, then snow on top of it. The roads were pretty bad. I'm glad you made it to the store and back safely.