Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Flat Stanley

Is there anything we wouldn't do for our grandchildren? Not much! Have your grandkids ever sent Flat Stanley to stay with you? With 19 grandkids, Flat Stanley has been to our house several times. The idea is that Flat Stanley is so flat he can fit in an envelope, so he can be sent around the world to have exciting adventures in new places. Then he gets mailed back to school so he can share his adventures with the boys and girls.

Once when Flat Stanley came he got to go to California with me. Another time he accompanied Randy and me to South Africa. We got pictures of him sitting in the airplane cockpit, dancing with African children, on safari, etc. Well, this time, Flat Stanley arrived just days before Randy went into surgery. I was pretty sure that he didn't want to return to Washington only to tell about hospitals, IV tubes, and bed pans. I really didn't have time to even take him into the city, so here's what I came up with:

In Wheaton there is a wonderful C.S. Lewis museum. This is a picture of Flat Stanley standing in front of the very wardrobe that inspired C.S. Lewis to write The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
Then a trip to Wheaton College to see the Perry Mastadon, a prehistoric elephant discovered in Glen Ellyn in 1963. Archaeologists at the Field Museum helped to restore the skeleton and it is on display at the new Wheaton College science building. It was locked when I got there and I finally found someone in the basement who was willing to open it up for me. He said, "Shut the door when you leave." I wonder if he had stuck around if he would have approved of me allowing Flat Stanley to climb on the skeleton.
We also visited a sports memorabilia store and took pictures of the Chicago skyline. Stanley wanted to take a Chicago sweatshirt back for each of the kids in the class, but he didn't have enough money so he purchased postcards for everyone. I couldn't believe that the teacher had enough nerve to suggest that we might want to make new clothes for Stanley that would reflect the weather we were experiencing. Aaarrrrgh! We were having pretty pleasant weather and I thought he'd probably be okay in his shirt sleeves, but I did take time to make him a little corduroy jacket in case it was cool in the evening. Good job, Grandma!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Hilarious! I took Flat Stanley to Uganda with me one time...although I can't remember who sent him to me. It was either one of Heidi's kids or one of Randy's I think. Maybe it was none of them and I never actually got around to mailing the photos. I have to laugh, though, every time I go through my photos from that trip 'cuz there's Stanley at the mouth of the Nile, and there's Stanley singing and dancing with African children and there's Stanley sewing reusable sanitary pads!! Go explain that one to some second graders...

Judy said...

Oh yes, you may be wondering where Stanley and Randy are. Stanley got to go to see "The Sound of Music" at Drury Lane. He loved it, and so did I.

florence said...

If Flat Stanley want to discover a little party of Europe, he is welcome in Brittany. We could take a picture in front of the oak tree. It would be funny !