Tuesday, October 21, 2008

There goes another tree!

In Vermont you can't even ask for a paper sack without some guy in line behind you muttering, "There goes another tree." Nevertheless, while Randy and I were in St. George this summer we went into Judd's Store -- the very same store where 60 years ago Randy tried to spend the two $20 bills he had taken off his dad's dresser on penny candy. He was having a hay day (Jessica, could you please research that phrase for me and let me know its origin, and the spelling of hay? hey? Perhaps I should have simply said he was having a "wonderful time") treating his little four-year-old friends to whatever their hearts desired until Mr. Judd became suspicious and called his dad to inquire if he had really authorized the purchase of 4,000 pieces of penny candy. Anyway, Randy and I had a "wonderful time" standing in front of the candy counter buying old-fashioned lik-m-aid, wax lips, kits, etc. I couldn't resist these cinnamon toothpicks. In elementary school we would go to the pharmacist and buy a small vial of cinnamon oil. We always carried toothpicks which we dipped in the oil and sucked until our lips and tongues were burning. Our teachers finally outlawed them. I'm kind of a toothpick person, having inherited my dad's teeth which have spaces between them. I carry this little package in my purse and have been grateful for it on more than one occasion!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Alma Clark said...

Hey Jude-y, I looked up heyday (that is how all the "word mavens" were spelling it) and it means: the time when someone is having the most vigor, vitality, or popularity, etc. So, yes, heyday works in your sentence. How did you know at this very moment I am reading a book called "Word Lore" about the origins of words and phrases? Tres interessant!

gollyjess said...

That was from Jessica, not Alma.

Aprilyn said...

What a funny memory. I'm glad we all know what a heyday is now. I always wondered how you spell it.