Monday, October 25, 2010

Reminiscing

On Friday I got an unexpected call from one of my missionary companions who was baby-sitting her grandchildren in a hotel in the city. Randy and I did some quick rearranging of our schedule so that we were able to drive in and visit for a couple of hours. What fun we had remembering the six months that Root and Yoodit spent together. To begin with, when Root arrived in Germany and the assistant to the president found out that we actually knew each other, he didn't hesitate to dash our hopes by telling us that the president would NEVER put the two of us together. Six months later we were both shocked when notified that we were going to be transferred together to serve as co-seniors. When the assistant to the president (a different one) dropped me at the train station to transfer to Kaiserslautern he told me to enjoy it because it was only for two weeks. We hardly even went to sleep at night we had so much to do and to talk about in such a short time. However, we were having success and two weeks turned into four months and we were transferred (together) to a new city. Our new apartment was close to the police station. Each time a missionary arrives in or departs from a city he has to register with the police, filling out paperwork and attaching a photo. For some reason the police department took a shine to the two very blonde Amerikanishe Maedchen who were seen each day on the streets, riding the street car, knocking on doors, shopping at the corner market. They always looked out for us, were friendly, and we enjoyed teasing back and forth. We were a little surprised on one of our trips to the police department to find that our pictures had been posted on their bulletin board.
Here you see Yoodit and Root standing by the car they wished they drove. Navigating by bicycle can be challenging in a dress. Check out my hair. It's been long but precious few times in my life. To quote my mother, "Don't you want to get your hair cut? Look how nice and neat your companion's hair is. You look a little bit like a lion." Thanks, mom!

3 comments:

Tristen said...

I had a nice laugh about the lion comment. I love your long hair here! It's no wonder you two were a favorite of the police!

RAHS said...

Zwei solche blonde Mädchen, und das Eine nicht ganz echt! We never did find out which one looked fake, did we? Must have been you since your hair was so much blonder. Good times! Thanks for sharing your reminisces and the picture. And thanks for going so far out of your way and rearranging your schedule to come hang out with me. I loved seeing you both--always do, even though years sometimes go by between visits. I'm so glad you're blogging again. Maybe we can keep better tabs on each other. Don't forget to send me a copy of that dvd with our songs on!

ellen said...

I love that photo! And I always love your stories. :)