Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11

I did not know a single person involved with 9/11, but I do feel a real sadness each year as the anniversary rolls around. One thing that makes me sad is that my life was really complicated at that time and during those first few weeks I did not have any time to watch TV. I know that there were amazing stories of heroism and kindness that I just plain missed out on, and I'm left with just the memory of a few bad images.

In commemoration of 9/11 our ward does a service project on that day. This year we did a project with Feed My Starving Children. A hundred people came out to participate. We packaged food that is sent to feed hungry children around the world. It is a dry mixture of chicken, dehydrated veggies, soy and rice. One packet is mixed with 1.5 liters of boiling water and will feed six. We packaged 4,320 packets, which is 26,000 servings, which is enough to feed 71 children for a whole year. At the conclusion of the project they served small samples of what we had put together. If I'm ever starving I hope someone sends me a box. Not bad!


1 comment:

ellen said...

What a GREAT project! I wish I had done something more than photograph a flag today (though I did make lots of cookies in September of 2001.