Sunday, September 5, 2010

New Beginnings


I had an interesting experience the other day. I looked at my own blog for the first time in almost a year and a half. I was shocked to see that on Friday, 14 people looked at my blog. I thought if, after a year and a half, there are still people interested in what Judy is thinking, then surely I can come up with something. So I've been thinking.

Does this picture look familiar? On January 1, 2008, I created this blog using this very same picture. I love to write and to express myself. These binders hold all of the letters I've written since 1964 (almost 50 years) in an attempt to stay connected to people. And in the process I've learned something I think is important. As long as I would write regularly, writing was easy and enjoyable, but if I let a few weeks slide by I found myself really struggling. You would think the opposite would be true--that waiting a few weeks would give you more things to write about, but that is not the way it works. I can't remember details, I no longer feel passionate about it, it all feels boring and like 'old news', it's too overwhelming, where do I even begin!

I have learned that the same thing is true with prayer. If I pray regularly, the communication seems easy and enjoyable, but if circumstances allow me to let a few days pass without praying I find praying to be difficult, overwhelming, and shallow. Where should I even begin. Should I go back and try to explain everything? justify myself for not checking in? act as though nothing has happened? wait another day to figure out what to do? Definitely not a good situation to be in.

Perhaps you're wondering where I have been. It seems too difficult and overwhelming to go back. So without explaining, without trying to justify myself, and not wanting to wait longer trying to figure out what to do, I am simply starting again. I don't promise anything daily, but I want to share my life. I still want to be connected!

6 comments:

CSL said...

Glad to have you back in the saddle!

C

Quinn said...

Mom,

The world seems right again. Good to have you back.

Quinn

ellen said...

I'm happy you're blogging again! :)

april said...

:) I love to hear your thoughts!

Beach_Crew said...

Judy!
I just happened to check your blog today and found you had posted!!! Wonderful to "see" you again! HOpe you are well. Loved your comments about being so far behind. I haven't posted in a while and you have inspired me to start again.
Love always-
taani

Tristen said...

I agree!! I'm glad to see you back blogging again! I blog for many of the same reasons, it feels good to just start where we are and write the here and now. Thanks for sharing!