Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Sad Goodbye?









This summer we re-did our kitchen. They took it clear down to the studs which meant that EVERYTHING had to be removed. In the process we identified a LOT of stuff that we knew would never go back. We thought about having a garage sale, but after looking things over we decided that would be way too embarrassing. So it has simply filled up one half of the garage for months while poor Randy has parked outside in the blazing sun, rain, and bird poop.

We're all motivated by different things. For me, it took the news that in three weeks Elder Gerritt Gong of the First Quorum of Seventy will be staying with us for our stake conference. I have made multiple trips to Goodwill and we're getting close. Ask me if it was a sad parting--

Goodbye Cootie game. Randy and I will miss finding eyes between the sofa cushions and antenae in our shoes.
Goodbye hot rollers. What will I ever do without your metal pins to clean my toenails.
Farewell seven bread pans which haven't been used since they rusted too long ago to remember.
Goodbye chin rest for a three-quarter-size violin. What will we ever do with you.
Goodbye muslin kitchen towels embroidered when I was six.
Goodbye spare slate tiles which we never needed. I tried for 33 years to damage that floor. It was impossible.
Farewell green and purple sequined cane from the high school musical.
Farewell empty canning jars too many to fit on the shelves.
Farewell rotary dial telephone.
Goodbye to ties Randy wore in high school.
Goodbye to eight mis-matched ramekins.
Goodbye to garden shoes that could only be worn with curled toes.
Goodbye microwave bacon rack.
Farewell unopened boxes of color film.
Goodbye pressure cooker, fry pan and roaster pan. (Does having a new kitchen mean I still have to cook?).
Goodbye to boxes of florist vases in various sizes and shapes.
Goodbye to boxes of candles with no scent.
Hello to clean cupboards! Hooray!!!

4 comments:

ellen said...

Rotary dial phones are all the rage now!

Tawna said...

I can't believe you got rid of the rotary dial phone. What good memories!

Britt said...

I love it! Made me laugh. I saw a few things in those pictures that I was sad to see go. I'm even sad about the slate floor. Sometimes memories make it so hard to part with things that are no longer needed and we can't take with us.

Kristin said...

The slate floor deserves a spot in my mementos with the green shag carpet sample I have from grandmas--dang! why didn't you send us each a piece?