Thursday, April 24, 2008

Are you hungry?


I've been thinking a lot about food (Is that a surprise?). We recently learned that the cost of wheat has increased dramatically because so many wheat farmers are switching to corn due to the demand for corn fuel. So we just added another 200 lbs. of white wheat to the almost 2,000 lbs. we already had. Last night they said on TV that in China the cost of rice has doubled since December. The availability of food and the increased costs are becoming a real concern. Some countries have quit exporting food crops to assure that they will have enough for their own people. Normally, food shortages can be attributed to some specific reason, such as a drought, an earthquake, a tsunami, etc. But at the present time, there seems to be a confluence of events rather than one single issue.

My daughter recently sent me some information about eating patterns around the world. Take a look at how differently we, in the western world, eat from many others. Clearly, we overeat, and much of what we eat is empty calories. I am stunned (in the midst of my plenty) to see how little sustains the lives of some.

Bargteheidi, Germany: Food expenditure for one week, $500.07


North Carolina, United States: Food expenditure for one week $341.98


Mexico: Food expenditure for one week, $189.09


Cairo, Egypt: Food expenditure for one week, $68.53


Tingo, Peru: Food expenditure for one week, $31.55.


Shingley, China: Food expenditure for one week, $5.03.


Breidzing Camp, Chad: Food expenditure for one week, $1.23.


While we contribute monthly to our church's humanitarian efforts, I feel guilty about our bounty and the amount of food that goes to waste around us. I'm grateful for a church that teaches us how to use the years of "fat calves" to prepare for years that may be more difficult.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Britt said...

We are sandwiched right between Mexico and Egypt. Due largely to our lack of alcohol and soda pop consumption I'm sure. I am realizing we have let our food storage efforts slide a bit lately...thanks for the friendly reminder.

gollyjess said...

if you have any advice, I would be glad for it. These are interesting times we are in. Although, I would like to point out that shopping at Aldi has reduced our food budget to a little over $100 for two weeks, give or take if I forgot my shopping bags at home.

I am Laura said...

Wow what a great post. Your food storage is beautiful. I have never thought of food storage being a work of art, but yours is truly beautiful. We have none so we are in trouble. I did buy a bunch of fruit snacks and goldfish to last a few months because they were on sale last week so we will have those food items in an emergency.

Aprilyn said...

I am finally in a place where I can have a bit of food storage! I wish I could say I have even half of what you have there. Sadly I do not. I've got to learn to bottle fruit and stuff.

Mama Williams said...

"If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear."
I can see you are in the "NO Fear" category. Great job! I wish I had your food storage area, but I'm working on it.