Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Garage Sale

Whoohoo! It's garage sale season again! I saw my first sign last weekend, and it was like someone had kissed my eyes. There's something really empowering about a pocketful of one dollar bills. I found some great little treasures for our family reunion this summer. You know, prizes for the "fishing pond" or bingo. I know that not all garage sales were created equal, and there are probably areas of the country where you get "exactly what you pay for." But in our community, I'm constantly amazed at the things people are getting rid of. I almost always find some little prize I've always wished I had. Randy always asks me when I'll be back. I say, "When my dollars are gone."

There's actually one specific thing I've been looking for for several years. In 1982, the Waterford Crystal Company started a "Twelve Days of Christmas" tree ornament series. In 1983, dear friends of our started giving us the new ornament each year. So now we have all the set from two to twelve. I thought it would be great to complete the set so I've been checking with replacement companies. The Partridge in a Pear Tree ornament, which originally sold for $25.00 now costs $599.95. I'd really love to have the full set, but not at that price. I'm sure that somewhere, some little grandma is cleaning out her basement. It may be the only ornament she has of the set, and what will she ever do with it? It has no value to her. Selling it at the neighborhood garage sale seems like a good idea, and she could use the $1.00 for something else. I haven't found it yet, but I haven't given up. If you see it, buy it for me!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Britt said...

What do you do when you can't stay away but your dollars should really be going somewhere else??

Beach_Crew said...

We have to concur - Naperville garage sales are the best. We have not found better, ever. Go get a good deal for us!