Thursday, April 3, 2008

Brazilian Embroidery

A few years ago I learned to do Brazilian embroidery, which I think is very intricate and very beautiful. I'd be the first to acknowledge that I'm better at embroidery than I am at photography, but here are a few close-ups to give you an idea of what can be done with a needle and thread. I should have posted the pictures in a larger format, but you can click on them for more detail.




































































I'm working on a new piece that is the most complicated stitch I've done. I've mentioned before that I like to crochet because I can do it while I multi-task. Brazilian Embroidery is not a multi-tasking activity. I can't watch TV. I can't talk to anyone. I can't even listen to music. This particular stitch requires a tomato pin cushion (underneath), four needles (some pointing up and some pointing down), three different threads, both hands, my knees, and a complicated counting-out-loud system to keep track of where I am and what I'm doing. Each of these flowers takes 4-5 hours to complete. I'm happy to have this stitch completed. I think it will be pretty when the project is finished!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

AMI said...

thats really beautiful!

Aprilyn said...

Those are beautiful! It sounds WAAAAAY too complicated for me though.

gollyjess said...

when you had children at home, when did you do this type of activity? I have one child, and I can't seem to find the time. The embroidery is gorgeous. What a talent.

Deepa said...

Lovely!!! Just happened to come across this post on Brazilian Embroidery.I also do a li'l bit of BE and can identify the stitches on the photos you posted -except the last one.What is the name of the stitch? Will it be possible for you share the instructions of the stitch atleast by mail?

Thanks
Deepa

Deepa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deepa said...

Judy,
Have you managed to finish the last one?
Deepa