Monday, April 14, 2008

Safe Delivery

Hey, all you bloggers, I'm back! Whenever I go to Utah I have my favorite haunts -- BYU Bookstore, Nielson's Custard, Distribution Center, Lehi Roller Mills, Seagull Books, Kneaders, Cafe Rio, Expidex. No trip is a success without stopping at a few of my favorites. This trip, however, was so busy that I didn't have time to get to a single one of them; not even the BYU Bookstore, even though I was on campus for four days. As I was driving out of town on Saturday I drove past the Busy Biddy. Some strange, uncontrolable urge just took over and forced me to flip a quick U turn and go in. I resisted the $139 dollar jacket that caught my eye, but as I was leaving, that same uncontrolable force took over and "made" me buy this yard lantern for our front porch. What was I thinking?! I already had two bags to check, a briefcase and a purse. How in the world was I going to get a huge lantern on the plane. I managed to stuff my purse into my briefcase and that got me through security. But when I tried to put the langern in the overhead bin, it didn't fit. Nor did it fit underneath the seat. I was forced to call the flight attendant for help. Since it was so large, the only bag it would fit in was a plastic garbage bag, which didn't seem like much protection to be placed in the baggage hold. I watched the flight attendant carry it up the aisle, but instead of going out the door, he carried it into the cockpit. The pilot removed the plastic bag (to make certain it was what I said it was). Then they gently seat-belted it into the jump seat behind the pilot for safe transport. I love Southwest Airlines!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Emily Brown said...

That is great that you still got a chance to get something from your trip to Utah! I did a Business Fair a week ago, and my friend did that store, the Busy Bitty. She would be so excited that you bought something from there! Love you Grandma!

~Emily

Dell said...

Great story, but par for the course as Peterson family travels are concerned! Someday you should write a book (or blog at a minimum) about the many different ways you have transported kids, furniture, food, gifts, decorations, and the kitchen sink across the country. That will be a best seller!

Dell

Aprilyn said...

I'm glad your lantern arrived safely. I'd like to hear your adventures of transporting children. I remember the year we hit the deer and we all had to cram into your station wagon.

ellen said...

Great story!

Mama Williams said...

That is so awesome! I love to hear a nice airplane story. The $139 jacket would have traveled easier, but the lantern is lovely and has a great story to go with it.