Friday, July 18, 2008

Midsummer Blick



I don't suppose that many people get excited about looking at other people's yards. But this blog is for me, too. I spend such a significant amount of time doing yardwork that it is fun for me to chronicle what is taking place there. Besides, I do get excited when the zinias I've planted from seed are 30 inches tall and begin to bloom. I get excited when my Annabelle hydrangeas are as big around as basketballs. I get excited when birds build nests in my birdhouses. Last year our blue spruce was getting so big it scraped the car when we backed out of the driveway. So we cut the bottom branches off and created a woodland shade bed. I get excited when I see how it has filled in and flourished. Sometimes I go across the street to visit my neighbor just so I can enjoy the view of our yard from their house. Our yard looks great from across the street. I get excited when people stop their cars and call out how much they enjoy watching our yard as it changes throughout the spring and summer. I get excited when I learn something new about gardening. For instance, I heard on the radio how to get rid of Japanese beetles. DO NOT put out those beetle traps. That just attracts more beetles. Early in the season when you see the first ones on your flowers, fill a number 10 can with water containing dish detergent. Hold the can underneath the flower. Gently tap the flower until the beetle drops into the water. Good-bye beetles! It really worked for me. Since the beetles are attracted to each other, when you get the early ones they quit coming. I get excited when I hear it is going to rain. I get excited when the breeze rings our windchimes. I get excited when I see birds splashing around in the birdbath outside my kitchen windows. Believe it or not, I also get excited when I hear it is going to freeze.








6 comments:

Kristin said...

I wish I could print out huge enlargements of your pictures, use stakes to hold them up in front of our house, and actually be successful in convincing people that our yard actually looked like that!

You do a phenomenal job.

Tristen said...

I LOVE your yard!! I just wish I had any yard at all to try that beetle trick!! Some day!

Unknown said...

Some day when I'm well, I've been telling myself for years, I will have an Annabelle hydrangea. This spring I tried to grow zinnias from seed and I read on the packet they need 10 days of seventy degree weather to sprout. I think we had one. Your yard is beautiful and I'm soooo jealous.

Aprilyn said...

It's been too many years since I've seen your yard. Even then, I don't recall spending much time in the front. Your yard looks beautiful!
We actually have a Japanese Beetle outbreak in our area. They have done some mandatory spraying of all the grass, trees, shrubs, etc. Hopefully we can win this war! The results could be so bad for our area.

La Asistente said...

Beautiful! All flowers remind me of you...

susannah said...

Hi I'm Jessica's sister and she mentioned your blog so I thought I'd take a peek. Your yard is incredible!! I only hope to do something half as great as your gorgeous yard. Wow what an accomplishment, thanks for posting the pics.