Monday, July 21, 2008

Ruminations of a Mormon Woman

I was born and raised a Mormon. My ancestors crossed the plains with the ill-fated Willie Handcart Company in 1856. I have loved and believed in this Church for as long as I can remember. My parents served faithfully in everything they were ever asked to do. No sacrifice was too great. I owe everything that is good (and there is a lot of it) in my life to the teachings and practices of this Church. I would love nothing more than to have opportunities to explain its beliefs to anyone who might listen. Although the doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are as close to “perfect” as is possible, its members are not. While members are generally known for their high standards and genuine concern for others, misinformation occasionally lead to criticism or misunderstanding.

Something that has been bothering me for the past few months is the very bad media coverage relative to the topic of polygamy. In April, authorities raided a polygamist compound in Eldorado, Texas, removing 416 children and placing them in foster care. There have been multiple interviews, TV programs, magazine articles and newspaper write-ups. In many instances, the media has referred to these polygamists as Mormons and their church as the Mormon Fundamentalist Church. These people have nothing to do with our Church, and our Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) has not practiced polygamy for 118 years.


Here are two short video clips I’d like you to watch. They will help you to understand why it is offensive to us when people wrongly associate these people with us and our beliefs.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

This kind of takes me back to Mammheim when we were tracting and teaching together. I guess you're still a missionary at heart.

Unknown said...

Wow! How did I misspell Mannheim like that?