Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bottoming Out



I always assumed that when a stoke occurred the full impact of the consequences was delivered immediately. When I walked into Central DuPage Hospital on Thursday evening they immediately suggested the possibility of a stroke, but my symptoms were so minimal that I still was confident that I could be at the gym the next morning. Disappointingly, in my case each morning for the next three days I awoke to discover that my capacities were further diminished and although the doctors reassured me that I had every reason to be optimistic, it is hard to be confident of recovery when each day your condition seems worse.

In the wee hours of the morning on Saturday, I asked a nurse if she would help me go for a short walk to relieve some of the aches and pains of lying in bed. We made a quick circle around the nurses station and returned to the room. I sat in a chair in the darkness and contemplated for the first time the reality of my situation. My left hand didn’t work. When I tried to reach for something, I realized I couldn’t control the direction that my hand went, and when something was placed in my left hand I regularly realized that although I thought I was holding it, it had fallen. When I stood on my feet, my left knee sagged. I constantly had to straighten my left leg. I never realized how necessary two feet are in maintaining balance. When I would try to move my left foot it often wouldn’t move, but my body had already started forward motion. I was left to try to compensate by moving my right foot back and forth in ways I’d never tried before. This resulted in a lot of banging against walls and grabbing for furniture to steady myself.

Yesterday was a good day for me. The first time I stood on my feet, I felt somehow different—more stable, more confident, less tipsy. Was my foot dragging less? I wanted to think so, but wasn’t sure if I was making it up. Later in the day my son called to say that his doctor colleague told him that in cases where the clot occurs where mine had, a very few patients experience swelling that causes their symptoms to become increasingly worse. This should only last 72 hours and then things should begin to improve. Yesterday was 72 hours for me and I’m hopeful that I have bottomed out and that I am on the way up. Life is good.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Judy,
We are faithful follower of your blog. We especially love the Subway/Police Officer story. We were very sad to hear of your stroke. We know you will have a full recovery, this is your character. You are Awesome. We Love and miss you and your family. Thank You for the update. Our family will continue to pray for you. May the blessing flow in abundance.
Love,
James, Mary & kiddos

Aprilyn said...

Dear Judy,
I hope you are on your way up. I only know of the frustration from hearing about it from my mother-in-law.

We are praying for you and sincerely hope that you will be able to get movement back. If you would like to talk to my mother-in-law, she would be more than happy to talk to you. I could give her your number.

Unknown said...

You are AMAZING!!! Your ordeal has given me a deeper appreciation for everything in life that we take for granted. Thank you for sharing your story. We still pray for you daily....YES, you will recover!!!!!

Hang in there...with great love,

Andrea

BaconandBitch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BaconandBitch said...

Judy, it is Mitch's Megann. I don't have your email and Mitch told me your address blog. I don't want to say that I have advice for you because I have never been in your same situation. Though, because I worked on a rehabilitation floor for a while I can tell you what I have seen. Seriously, the people who have the best attitude and who do the exercises diligently (and even extra on their own) as the therapists instruct are the ones who do the best. I have seen people with a good attitude do leaps and bounds better then those without a good attitude. I am sure though that you are doing your best to keep your spirits up. I am sorry for this and hope you get better every day. -Megann

Mama Williams said...

We love you Judy! Thank you for the update. Mom told me she spoke with you on the phone yesterday too. We're pulling for ya! You can do it!

Kristin said...

Thanks for visiting with me tonight. You continue to amaze and inspire me. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers, and be ready to step in whenever and wherever we can to help.

aunt dyanne said...

Aunt Judy... I am just now getting to comment on the blog - but my heart is so full, and my mind is racing. I am sorry for the difficulties of this trial... and the frustrations that will come. I know that I'm preachin' to the choir when I say, good will come from this - it already has... I can see how many angels are ministering to you and the lessons people are learning... the renewed or realized appreciations for what they have.

I know that I didn't whine nearly as loud this morning as I tried to shampoo my hair all bent over, because my arms won't go above my head! I can still type with both hands - and my left hand does not resemble a fish on a stick (love that analogy!) When the arthritis is achy and the ankle gets twisty... I will try to imagine and appreciate what you must be feeling - and remind myself of the lessons to learn.

I have always admired you, your example, your strength, your patience, your compassion, your accomplishments, etc. etc. etc. I know that you will come through this trial the strongest of us all - if not physically, then mentally, spiritually and emotionally.

Please know our prayers are with you, and the prayers of many attending the local temples here. We are far away - but our hearts are full - if there is anything that can be done...please...simply request... (I'm not to good with hints).

Prayers for Uncle Randy as well - I know that his heart is likely breaking a little to watch his sweetheart struggle. We pray for strength for you both and for those angels that are surrounding you in the ward, neighborhood and family.

Love - Diane (Marie's) and Family.