Saturday, January 31, 2009

Creating Convenience

Years ago I read Good Morning Merry Sunshine, by Chicago Tribune columnist Bob Greene. It was a journal of their daughter’s first year of life. I loved the book and thought it was a “should read” for every first-time father. Greene described himself as fastidious in both his dress and housekeeping. The coffee table (pre-baby) was always spotless—a flower arrangement and three magazines fanned out at 2” intervals. After the baby, the coffee table was a mass of diapers, nursing pads, pacifiers, burp cloths, Desitin, water glasses, and baby magazines. His suits regularly had spit-up on the shoulder and his ties had wiped everything from runny noses to bottoms. And he hardly even noticed.

I certainly would not use the word “fastidious” to describe myself, but I do like clean surfaces and my night stand would normally have a lamp, a clock radio, a phone and a reading book. We’ve rearranged a few things for convenience sake. And yes, we’re still noticing it!



4 comments:

Mama Williams said...

Looks like a good set up to me!

aunt dyanne said...

Still cleaner than my nightstand....

La Asistente said...

Actually, some of my best inspirations come sitting in bed, reading and pondering, with clutter all around. Try it!

Kristin said...

I was so thrilled to see you today, and wished I had been able to talk to you.

You look great. And hey, convenience is worth it!