Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gratitude

I used to always hope that I would die instantly or in my sleep. Then I heard about a man who felt the same way. He got cancer and suffered a long and painful death. Before he died he expressed his great gratitude for the way things had turned out and said that if he had died suddenly he would never have known how much people cared about him.

First of all, I’m not going to die, but had I not had this event, I would never have experienced this amazing outpouring of love and concern. I have heard from so many people who I didn’t even know read my blog. I have received phone calls and emails, flowers and goodies. Your faith and prayers, your expressions of love and concern have been such a support and comfort to me. I wish there were better words than Thank You to express my feelings, but until the Adamic language is restored I guess they will have to do.

And speaking of support, could anyone be blessed with a more supportive family than I have? When they finally released me from the hospital Saturday evening, Quinn came up from Champaign to help get us through Sunday. After assessing the situation, the kids counseled together and, despite our protests, came up with a plan. Quinn stayed until today. He is replaced by Travis, who has tried to board a plane four different times today (Columbus has truly been slammed by a huge storm that has shut down everything). He will stay until Saturday. Kristin will arrive on Sunday. By the time she leaves I hope I will be able to take care of myself. But what an extraordinary experience to spend this one-on-one time with them. And I am so aware that they are not making the sacrifices alone. Spouses are staying at home with full responsibility for children and everything that goes with it, and some of their circumstances make this a significant challenge. I’m so grateful to them.

Quinn has served his little fingers to the bone, cleaning, cooking, laundry, blogging, errands, phone calls. Getting back to the lab will be a vacation for him. Travis will be here to take me to my first physical therapy appointment and to my follow-up appointment with the internist. It will be so good to have his medical expertise and perspective. I certainly have much to bless my life. I am grateful

10 comments:

Britt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Britt said...

We are happy to send Travis to you. He is FINALLY leaving with a list of things that we think he can help you with just in case you don't keep him busy enough. You put in your time helping our crew over the past year. I don't know that we will be able to make up for all you have done for us.

So glad to hear you are doing a little better today. Keep it up!

Kristin said...

Seems to me that someone's children were certainly raised right.

You DO have a lot of people who love you. And when all is said and done with the family visits, there are others more than willing to be of service in their place.

ellen said...

Oh Judy! I've been on vacation in ORegon and caught up on some blogs tonight. I will add you to my prayer list and hope you are feeling better every day. Randy was on my flight from Boston to SLC on Saturday but we didn't have a chance to chat since the flight was late. Take care! Lots of love, ep

Unknown said...

It's high time you realized how loved you are!!! There are many who want to serve you -- I hope you let them. It's just a way of repaying you all the service and love you have given to so many of us through the years.

My kids pray "bless Grandma Judy" to feel our love and to get better....

We love you so very very much.

Maureen said...

Judy,
I would have known nothing about this except for Lynette, she is the blogger in our family. I can't believe that you are having these experiences. I have been trying to pay attention to the first signs of a stroke that have been running on TV, thinking that maybe that would be some thing that I ought to know. So what was your first sign? So glad that your doing good. I enjoyed the family picture that was with your Christmas card. Hope things continue to go well for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Love, Maureen

Anonymous said...

i'm sending you lots of love from las vegas. we still love you and think of the beautiful example you gave us.

such a wonderful family to take care of you....and you deserve every bit of it. i wish i was there to come and sing you a song :)

i'll be cheering you on. and thank-you for sharing your experience, it blesses those of us who read it.

lots of love, courtney nielson

Aprilyn said...

We have all been praying for you. I'm so glad your kids have been able to arrange things so they can come help you. I wish I could help too but I have no idea how that would work out with my family. Just know that we love you and pray for you multiple times a day.

The Cragun Family said...

Judy,
We are so happy to hear that you are doing better. You are in our family's thoughts and prayers. Thanks for helping us realize to not take for granted those simple things of life. Keep writing and keep improving!
Tim and Ami Cragun

Rebecca said...

Sister Peterson, Thank you for sharing your wonderful attitude! I am so grateful for all you've done for me throughout my life!