Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Book Tag

Last week I got tagged by Aprilynn. So this is my first experience with “tagging.” Apparently I’m supposed to pick a book with at least 123 pages, open the book to page 123, and share the fifth sentence on that page. Here goes!

I have just re-read A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini. The fifth sentence on page 123 reads, “Then Babi’s hand was on Laila’s shoulder, and he gently pulled her from the door.” I read this book about a year ago, but was recently asked to lead a discussion about the book at our May Book Club, so I thought I better do a quick re-read to refresh my memory

This book was depressing to me from beginning to end. That doesn’t mean I didn’t like it. While it is nice to read a “happy ever after” fairytale, I think it is the book that bothers us that has the capacity to change our lives. This book deals with the way Afghani women are treated in their society. I have had the great good fortune to be married to a man who treats me like a Queen. He has loved, encouraged, and supported me in everything I’ve ever wanted to do. He has always had more confidence in my ability than I have and has always found the time to be my mentor, my cheerleader, my therapist. When I read about how women in some parts of the world are oppressed and mistreated I instinctively want to fight. I feel anger. I feel panic. I feel sick. But I don’t know what to do. A few months ago I also read Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortensen. This book chronicles one man’s efforts to educate Afghani women, which would certainly go far in solving the social ills in any society. I recommend both these books. I tag Kaye Lynn.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Aprilyn said...

Thanks for doing this Judy. I think it's interesting to see what you're reading. I only have time for The Book of Mormon.