Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Cool Gizmo

When I was in fourth grade, the music teacher at the college called my parents and told them they should consider starting me on a string instrument. My first violin, borrowed from Etta Leigh's attic, was taken to the violin shop, and after an incredibly long week of waiting, was finally ready to be taken home. I was so impressed by the inside of the case with its apple green crushed velvet lining and the long satin ribbons where the bows were fastened.

String instruments are interesting because becoming proficient requires not only training the fingers, but also the ears. Playing "in tune" is completely dependent on where you place your fingers, and you learn to place your fingers correctly by "hearing" with exactness. "Tuning" is a big deal for strings and you will always hear an orchestra "tuning up." After more than 50 years of playing, my daughter gave me a gift for my birthday last month that is really a cool little gizmo. When you play your strings, red and green lights flash, dials indicate whether the note is sharp or flat, and you can tune your instrument with precision using your eyes. Who'd of ever thought!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Aprilyn said...

That is a very cool gizmo! I'd love to hear a Peterson Family concert!