Monday, February 2, 2009

Looking Forward


Here's the latest update from the Peterson re-hab center.

I went to church yesterday! I was a little bit frightened and self-conscious about my first public appearance and about seeing all the people I love for the first time. I confess that my pride was raising a huge fuss about arriving with a cane--even if it was a "sassy" cane. I would have much preferred to be a fly on the wall rather than the center of attention. But what an outpouring of love! So many welcoming arms, hugs, smiles and expressions of love and concern. To me, I imagined it much like our heavenly return might be.

This is the first time (to my knowledge) that other people have fasted on my behalf. I do believe in faith and prayer and although this may sound childish and naive, I really believe I'm stronger today, happier, more at peace, more confident of the future. I'm walking better, I put the laundry in by myself, and I'm actually typing this blog (painstakingly, but nevertheless by myself). Kristin says I should tell you that I even threatened to throw the cane away today.
We are heading out to get a Portillo's hot dog, stopping at the grocery store and then cooking dinner for the missionaries. How normal is that?!

Last night I read Elder Holland's talk Remember Lot's Wife, which was a great reminder not to look back, but to the future. Elder Holland said, "I plead with you not to dwell on days now gone, nor to yearn vainly for yesterdays, however good those yesterdays may have been. The past is to be learned from, but not lived in. We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences, but not the ashes. And when we have learned what we need to learn, and have brought back with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead, we remember that faith is always pointed toward the future."

Never mind what I could do two weeks ago, I'm grateful for what I can do today and look forward to the challenges of the future.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You never cease to amaze me -- such a classy, sweet, humble, elect lady!

Our love and prayers continue to go out to you this day....

Anonymous said...

Dear Yoodit:

At last a message from your baby sister (notice I didn't say "little")! The long time between the event and my message is not because I love you any less, but that somehow only you are over 60 and still smart enough to be tech savvy. You have been in my thoughts constantly and our whole family is praying for your speedy recovery. I know you will be quilting on the 17th with the best of them! I love your blog -- and as long as Holly is here and can show me how to get on it, I will really enjoy it. Keep the chin up Sis. You are a great one.

Love, Susan

La Asistente said...

Would you like to be my computer wallpaper for a day??? Cute picture.

La Asistente said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ahtzib said...

It's great to see your smiling face! That is quite a pile of books you have at the bedside -- are you so bored you have turned to reading the phone book? :)

aunt dyanne said...

Aunt judy - you are AWESOME! As I study to teach a lesson from Elder Wirthlin's talk... Come what may and love it". I have gained so much from reading your blog and reading how you are taking what has come....and "loving it" (so to speak)you are using healthy laughter and humor to get you through troubles.... and that is what Elder Wirthlin said to do! You give me (& many others) strength and enlightenment, encouragement and faith through your words.

You are and will continue to be in our prayers.... keep going, before long we will have to read "older posts" to even know this has happened!

Aprilyn said...

You are awesome!! Look how great you're doing. You amaze me. I can't fast because of health reasons (I get really lightheaded and off balanced when I fast so the doctor said NO!) but Brian and Nathan did. Even Marshall remembers to pray for you every day and night. We talked about fasting at FHE tonight and Brian talked about how they fasted for you and even though the boys don't know you, that you were like a mother to me growing up.

We're coming to Naperville the last week of April through the beginning of May for the YNS Concert. I look forward to seeing you again. It's been a long time since I've been back.

Lynette said...

You look great! I'm glad to hear you are doing better!

Pam Mosdell said...

Dear Aunt Judy,

We are so thankful that you are feeling better. You have been in our thoughts and prayers. Dennis sends his love and hopes for a speedy recovery. We send our love too. So glad you have had such support from your family. Enjoyed reading your blog and looking at photos. Pretty good-looking kids you have!

All Our Love,
Pam & Jeff, Jace, Josh and Paige

Rebecca said...

What a wonderful testimony you have! thank you so much for sharing. I'm glad you are feeling better and I pray for your continued recovery!

Claudia Fisher said...

Judy,
I just heard about your stroke from Judy Taylor this morning. Then I called Barbara Gibson who said you are really doing well. I am so glad it wasn't more serious. I have a friend in Houston who lost her speech and had to learn to walk again. Sounds like you are doing great and are upbeat. I also heard that Heidi and Peter have connected in LA. You will have to tell me about your quilt retreat. Claudia