Monday, February 11, 2008

6.0214 x 10 to the 23rd

People have always known that IQ is important, but in the last few decades experts have come to realize that CQ (Creativity Quotient) is also very important. Quinn was born with a CQ that is off the chart. For years, my kids have begged me to write a book about Quinn. I think I still might do that, but for today, just a glimpse into his mind.

You probably know that a mole is a little burrowing animal with small eyes, concealed ears, and soft fur. Did you know that it is also a unit of measurement -- 6.0214 x 10 to the 23rd, to be exact. At our high school, they celebrate Mole Day on October 23rd at 6.02 a.m. The chemistry teacher passes out mole shaped cookies to the students and wears a "Mole Day" T-shirt. He hands out a pattern for a six-inch mole, and students can earn extra points by making a mole. Well, Quinn's brain simply couldn't wrap itself around a six-inch mole, so he and a friend decided to make a twelve foot mole. They went to JoAnn Fabrics and purchased the cheapest fabric they could find (which happened to be pink). They multiplied out all the dimensions, cut, sewed, and stuffed this twelve foot mole. They spent days working on it and finished it very late the night before Mole Day. They strapped it on top of Quinn's car, and early the next morning they drove it to school. It was a huge hit. I'm sure they got the maximum number of extra points. However, in their zeal to make a mole, they forgot that there was also a chemistry test worth 100 points that day. It's a good thing that, in addition to CQ, Quinn also has IQ!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Tristen said...

I'm so glad you posted that about Quinn! I have been telling my husband about that for years and now I have picture proof! I would so be first in line to buy the book about Quinn... and I would be the first to believe that you aren't making these things up! Completely true!

Tiffany said...

That's my husband!!!

Kristin said...

And to think he is the world's greatest home teacher too!

Aprilyn said...

He was really good at putting up with getting "married" to Emily all the time. He was in plays with my sisters all the time and they usually ended with Emily and Quinn getting married. I remember him in the middle of the 2 girls as they all sang "Let Me Call You Sweetheart". I missed out on knowing the older version of Quinn. I just remember the little kid.

Britt said...

The infamous Mole