Saturday, February 16, 2008

He who has a book has a Friend

I love to read! I remember being in fifth grade and my friends coming to the door to get me to come out and play. I was reading a Cherry Ames mystery and declined their invitation. They were a little unhappy with me, but hey, a book is about as good a friend as you can get.

While I always like to have a book on hand, there is nothing worse than being in an airport without a book. I've spent a lot of money at airport book stores, which drives me crazy, as you know that I hate to pay full price for anything. So in preparation for an upcoming trip, I asked a friend if she could recommend a good book. She brought it to church on Sunday. That afternoon while I was waiting for Randy I decided just to take a peek to see if I thought it was a book I'd enjoy. I finished it up that night. Then another friend said she had a good book I could borrow, but when I went to pick it up she couldn't find it. I borrowed a book from my daughter a few years ago that I enjoyed so much I never returned it. I decided I could re-read it on my trip and then leave it with her when I left. But I couldn't resist the temptation to get started, and finished that this morning. Please tell me your favorite book or books. If I were "Pioneer Woman" I would give a prize (like a computer printer or a Wii) for the best suggestion, but I'm waiting for my readership to increase before I give away the big prizes. I will, however, share with you a list of books that I've read (or re-read) and enjoyed during the last year.

Ella Minnow Pea, by Mark Dunn
A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini
The Mormon Way of Doing Business, by Jeff Benedict
My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Piccoult
A Train to Potevka, by Mike Ramsdell
Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer
Digging to America, by Ann Tyler
About Alice, by Calvin Trillin
The Peace Giver, by James L. Ferrell
Gift from the Sea, by Ann Morrow Lindberg
My Grandfather's Son, by Clarence Thomas
Beethoven's Hair, by Russell Martin
Plain Truth, Jodi Piccoult
I am a Mother, by Jane Clayson Johnson
The Last Summer of You and Me, by Ann Brashares

I look forward to reading all of the books you recommend. As I won't have access to a computer, I won't be blogging for a few days. Gotta go! Just noticed that Part XXIX of Black Heels to Tractor Wheels is out. Happy reading!

2 comments:

Aprilyn said...

Maybe you already read it but I like the book "A Heart Like His" by Virginia Hinkley Pearce. I haven't read it all yet but what I have red, I loved. Also, the whole series of books by Stephenie Meyer is good (there are 3 now). Have you read The Children of the Promise and The Hearts of the Children series? What about the series called Faith of Our Fathers?

gollyjess said...

thanks, I have been looking for a good list of books.