Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Doing what you have to do

While I was growing up, we “slept out” all summer long. It wasn’t just an occasional sleeping bag on the back lawn. We had an actual bed set up under the clothes line. It was covered with a green striped canvas awning and another matching awning was draped above us over the clothes line to protect us from rain and the early morning sun, which, in spite of the awning, managed to wake us pretty darn early. I never remember waking up when my mother wasn’t already working in her garden.

Is there a gardening gene? If so, it was latent in me for most of my life. It wasn’t until about fifteen years ago that I discovered the joy of gardening. Dirt feels good between my fingers. It’s fascinating to watch a blossom emerge. I once gave an entire fireside talk on what I’ve learned from weeds. Although I do most of our yard work myself, I do draw the line. I’ve always said that I couldn’t do the heavy trimming.

Do you remember that cute little song from the movie, April Love – “Ya gotta do, do, do it yourself, if you wanna get anything done.” Our hedge had gotten so big you had to back out of the garage at an angle. After I finished trimming it I left all the equipment out for Randy. I thought he might say something like, “Thanks, honey, what you’ve done will save me a lot of time. I’ll be able to finish this up in no time.” But Randy is smart like a fox. As he immediately rolled up the extension cord and put the ladder away he said things like “never looked better.” “How did you do this?” “Better than I can do it.” I’m such a sucker for positive feedback!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Aprilyn said...

Looks good! I am blessed to live in an apartment and have someone else take care of those things.