Monday, September 22, 2008

Blast from the Past


Last week I spent three days at BYU. As I walked onto the campus I realized that it was on just such a beautiful fall day forty-one years ago that I stepped onto the campus for the very first time in my life.



My mother drove my sister and me (and everything the two of us needed for a year) to Provo in our little Volkswagen Beetle – no car of our own, no computer, no bicycle, no cell phone, no iPod, no bedspread and matching throw-rug, no sweater storage tubs, no filing system, no storage crates or shoe racks. Just a suitcase full of clothes, a wind-up alarm clock, and my portable manual SmithCorona typewriter. But it was enough – enough to get a great education, enough to form a circle of life-long friends, enough to find an eternal companion, enough to have some great church leadership experiences, and enough to develop a deep and abiding love affair with BYU. How different things are today!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

ellen said...

I wasn't too far behind you and didn't have any of those modern items either! I took my sewing machine though!

Unknown said...

The mountain background looks familiar. A couple of those buildings must have been there when I was there. I don't remember it being so green.

Aprilyn said...

I lived off-campus BYU even though I never went to school there. I took some clothes and I think I had some bedding because otherwise I'd sleep on a mattress with nothing else. :)