Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hello, Bloggers


Hello, Everyone! Today I looked at my blog for the first time in about four weeks. It was a painful experience. I've had such mixed feelings about my blog: Why am I blogging? Who cares if I do or don't? What do I want my blog to accomplish? In many ways I'm blogging just for myself, and in that case, does it really matter if anyone else reads it? Does a blog have to have a purpose? Can it just be a potpourri of thoughts and ideas? Many times I'm just blogging about memories of the past. Is reverse blogging okay? If I'm really honest in my blogging is it ever hurtful to anyone else?

I didn't really intend to quit blogging or even give it this much thought. After we returned from Utah I just got super busy preparing for our family reunion (our entire family of 27 here in Chicago). Then it was the reunion. Then it was the aftermath of the reunion. Then it got really easy just not to think about blogging. Then I started to avoid it and have a lot of doubts.

Today I finally sucked it up and opened my blog. There it was, just like I left it. I checked on my sitemeter and was amazed to find that people were still checking in. I have friends! Yeah! Right now I'm feeling a little twinge of regret about all the amazing things that have happened during the past four weeks that I haven't recorded. I'm back!

18 comments:

Quinn said...

Glad to have you back!!!

Emily said...

I have really missed your insights on life. I love reading blogs written by more, ahem, mature people; they give such a great perspective that we all need to hear. I wish there were more grandma bloggers out there.

Paige said...

I'm part of your silence audience out there! I love reading your stories, insights, and happenings. Keep blogging!

ellen said...

I've been waiting to hear more about your summer and the big reunion. I visited the Belmont Petersons last night and mentioned that you hadn't been blogging and was hoping you would. Anyway, your blog is one of my favorites. I love all your stories, your inspiration, and that you keep it real! Welcome back. I love the family photo!!

Mama Williams said...

I absolutely love your blog! I love all the random somethings and nothings you can get from blogs. But mostly I love staying connect to you and my cousins this way. How else will I ever hear anything? Please don't stop blogging.

What a great family picture! Please share more about your kidos.

Tristen said...

I care if you do or if you don't! And I don't show up on your site meter because I read your blog from a reader, but I'm a faithful reader! AND my mom and my sister (both notorious for reading but not posting comments) also read and love your blog. Reverse blogging is great! And I don't think it's hurtful for people if you are being honest, although I don't post a lot of things because of that. But your blog is so important to me because I so love to hear what you are thinking and how you think of things. You are a great example to me! Thanks!

Kristin said...

Glad you are back.

Aprilyn said...

Hooray! You're back!! I was hoping you'd be blogging soon. I love reading your blog. I'd like to hear about your reunion. I miss you guys! This is the only way I have to keep in touch with you. I thought about calling you about a month ago when I made freezer jam. I knew you'd be proud of me and know just HOW BIG of an accomplishment that was.

Jason said...

We always enjoy keeping up on your going-ons, and this is the perfect way to do it. Endure! I love seeing this picture of your whole family. I can still remember when your numbers were "few" and most still lived at home. Wow! Congratulations to you and your family.

Jason

P.S. Please visit us anytime... www.goodtimesupnorth.blogspot.com

La Asistente said...

Yea!!!

Mom G said...

Don't give it up! You have an audience and MANY friends. Blogging is an outlet for oneself and a great way to keep in touch. Look at all the comments you have received after your absence. You are an amazing women and we all benefit from your experience - past and present! Barbara

Anonymous said...

Whew, we missed you. Your influence reaches many. Keep it coming.

Bill Grubbs said...

I have often peeked to see if you have made additional posts and was always sad not to find new entries. Who ever you are blogging for, I enjoy reading your thoughts and experiences. It inspires me, but not to the point of writing more on my own. If I were better at words, perhaps I would, but someone has to take the pictures and I am better at that.

Unknown said...

Yay! I was already looking forward to your holiday blog and disappointed to think there might not be one.

Kristin said...

Oh, how I've missed you!!!

Rebecca said...

I think every blogger goes through that "Why am I blogging?" stage. I love how blogging is usually about the random tidbits of life.

I stop blogging when nothing is happening, and then something starts to happen and I have no time!

$ said...

I have a confession...I love spying on my cousins through you blog. Hope you don't mind! Keep it up! Love, Marti $

Unknown said...

Judy, no self deprecation allowed. You are one amazing woman with one amazing blog -- keep it up so that I can continue smiling. Hugs!