Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ruminations of a Mormon Woman

You're sick of the reunion. I don't blame you. So here's something different, but don't think you have dodged the bullet forever. I don't even have all the reunion pictures yet, so I know you're going to see more of them. But for today, here's an interesting little bit of trivia.

We moved to Naperville in 1977 -- just about the time that the Naperville First Ward (church congregation) was created. In those 30+ years we have had ten bishops. A few weeks ago our dear friend Mark was sustained as our new bishop. On that day, by a bit of serendipity, eight of those ten bishops were in the Naperville Stake Center. In order of their service, Bishop Fisher, Bishop Watson, Bishop Peterson, Bishop Hunter, Bishop Duffield, Bishop Manning, Bishop Black, and Bishop Quinn. Even more unusual, seven of those men still live in the Naperville First Ward. That may not be so unusual in the heart of Utah, but it's pretty amazing in a transient suburban ward in an area like Chicago. I love every one of these men and could tell you specific ways in which they have blessed my life and the lives of our children. These men serve as lay ministers, sacrificing their discretionary time to lead their congregation. Their families give up so many things to support and sustain them in their service. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for men of great honor and integrity and for over 30 years of association with some of the greatest people in the world!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

ellen said...

A few years ago I captured a picture of the first 5 bishops of the Arlington Ward (Boston) and it's still one of my faves.

Tristen said...

Judy!! I love this post, THANK YOU for this picture! I love these men, they are at the very root of my testimony and understanding of the priesthood and church hierarchy. I loved these Bishops! Thanks so much for sharing, and please tell them that we still love them even though we're far away now!

Michael said...

Thanks for this post - what an honor it is for me to serving with our new Bishop. Your thoughts are a wonderful reflection on the "lay clergy" of the Church. What a blessing to be a part of it!

Anonymous said...

I remember 4 out of the 8 bishops in that picture. They are great men and they touched my life too. Well, I don't really remember Bishop Fisher or Bishop Watson as much as the others. :)

Aprilyn said...

Ooops. I did it again! I forgot to log Nate out before posting my comment. By the way, I'm NOT sick of your reunion pictures. I am glad you decided to keep blogging. I look forward to reading more "Ruminations of a Mormon Woman".

Lynette said...

What a fabulous picture! All these wonderful, influential, men that have played such a marvelous part in my life. They are all men I love and am grateful for their service.

Rebecca said...

what a cool picture! What a amazing thing for all of them to be there that day. Thanks for sharing!