Monday, September 29, 2008

A Worldwide Sisterhood--Ruminations of a Mormon Woman

Saturday night was the Relief Society Worldwide Satellite Broadcast. It was a wonderful meeting where we were instructed and inspired by talks given by the R.S. General Presidency and President Uchtdorf of the First Presidency. Our stake planned a Mexican dinner before the meeting. I'm still salivating as I think about it today. I love Relief Society and being part of a worldwide sisterhood. While my biological sisters all live far away (annual sister's reunion coming up in about a week), it is comforting to be in a room full of 300 women who call each other sister and are there to support and sustain each other. Over the years, Relief Society has blessed my life in a multitude of ways.

Twenty-seven years ago tomorrow I made the following journal entry. "Emily Rich and Chipper came to spend the day with us while Mary went to a workshop at the Art Institute. I washed windows and then took all the kids with me (my six and two extra) for an orientation to deliver phone directories. I brought home 800 directories which I was supposed to deliver within two days. I got a few done that day and finished the rest up the next day. That evening we had a primary board meeting. Sharon Dayley (one of my Relief Society sisters) took me aside afterward and said she was really concerned that I looked so worn out. I thought, 'If you only knew,' but I laughed and made light of it. Saturday morning she arrived at our door with six loaves of homemade bread and a note that said, 'Take the time you would have spent baking bread this week and have a nap.'"

That's Relief Society
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a great idea to have a dinner before the conference and I love Dieter Uchtdorf. He's the first German member of the 12, I think. Besides, he's handsome.

Mama Williams said...

I love R.S. and witness little miracles in our neighborhood often. I am so thankful for the kindness and service of others.