Monday, February 16, 2009

Dictionaries


I’m a person who has always liked words. One of my favorite books is Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader, by Anne Fadiman. Ex Libris literally means “from books.” I wish I were better at using words – then I would do a better job of communicating how much I appreciate all the kind things others have done for me over the past few weeks.

For example, just today three different friends have extended themselves to me. One dear friend came first thing this morning to help me mark my quilt fabric. Another friend took me to run errands this afternoon. A third friend invited us to have dinner with them this evening. I feel so spoiled. Isn’t there anyone out there who could peel me a grape?!

Last night when Randy and I arrived home late there was a gift bag by the back door. Inside was a book that I am so excited about – Language of the Mormon Pioneers, by George W. Givens. Did you know that a Furlong is equal to 40 poles (rods) or 660 feet. The term is still used in England, but is obsolete in ordinary language in the U.S. George Q. Cannon described the attack on the Prophet Joseph at the Johnson home in 1832: “Then they seized his throat and choked him until he ceased to breathe. When he recovered his senses from this inhuman attack he was nearly a furlong from the house.”

Another recent gift I am loving is the 1828 edition of Noah Webster’s Dictionary. I use it regularly while reading my scriptures and find it very helpful So if you happen to need to know the meaning of a mizzy, or plashing, or furbelows, just give me a call.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

La Asistente said...

The Webster Dictionary is one of my favorite books. I purchased one when I taught Seminary and the world of Joseph Smith really opened up to me. It's a reference I couldn't do without!

aunt dyanne said...

I used to have an Umbrella Cockatoo that would peel grapes before he ate them. Maybe you could borrow him for a while....

Trust me, birds just flick those peels on the wall - and they are a PAIN to wash off. So be careful whom you choose to peel the grapes for you!

I hope you have a blast at your Quilters Retreat!

Aprilyn said...

I have no idea what those words mean. I'm an expert at skimming over words I don't know when I read and getting the general idea of the story. I'm trying to break that habit.