Friday, February 6, 2009

The Good, the Bad, and . . .

Four times a year, Randy hosts a meeting for our Area Authority, Mission President, and other stake presidents in our area. As some of them travel quite a distance before and after the meeting, he takes some things for them to snack on or to take with them on their return trip. We picked up a bunch of Costco snacks, but I always try to make something homemade to send along. So, I got up before anyone else this morning to make gingersnaps, all by myself. Good!

The Good

After I got the cookie dough all made I remembered that our oven blew up three days after I came home from the hospital. This meant making arrangements to haul everything to the neighbors for baking. Bad! (Later, we went to look for a new oven).

The Bad

No way to photograph this, but it was very ugly! Somehow, while I was in the hospital, somebody figured out a way to turn cookie-making into a “terrible, horrible, no good, very bad” process. I dropped a five pound bag of sugar on the basement steps, breaking it open and creating a huge mess. I tried to measure the shortening in water and ended up spilling the whole thing on the floor. In the process of measuring out half a cup of molasses I managed to drip, smear, pour, or drizzle molasses on everything on the entire countertop. After adding the flour I didn’t get the lid on properly and caused a flour volcano that left a coating of flour dust everywhere. The kitchen looked as if a ten-year-old had been at work unsupervised. It took three times as long as it should have, and by the time Randy came down the cook was in tears.

The Resolution

After cleaning up the kitchen, Randy and I went to physical therapy. My regular therapist was on vacation. I really liked the girl who worked with me and thought it was a very productive day. We worked on balance, walking, marching, side-stepping, catching balls, hopping. As I looked around the room at all those stroke patients trying so hard to move their leg, or hold a pencil, or step over a stick, or hold themselves up using the parallel bars, I was filled with a profound sense of gratitude. I can make cookies – all by myself!

7 comments:

ellen said...

Way to go, Judy!!

Quinn said...

Sounds like you are doing great. Send some of those cookies my way.

Mama Williams said...

O Judy! You are amazing! Looking forward to seeing the new oven. How did I miss the story on it blowing up??
Randy, We love you too! Keep up the great attitudes and progress you two!

Unknown said...

You're doing it!!! Keep up the great work...

It seems like I always have kitchen disasters when I really need to cook something for someone, in a hurry, for something important and nice.

I am happy to hear that it even happens to you -- the best of cooks, once in awhile.

Thanks for reminding all of us to stay upbeat and positive...and reminding us what really is important in life.

You are GREAT!!!!

I am Laura said...

good job! They look wonderful. I am sorry it made a way bigger mess than you intended, but if it makes you feel better I sometimes don't like Ben cooking because it always looks like a 10 year old was in the kitchen after he does anything. I am glad you are doing the things you are so good at still.

Quinn said...

One more thing. Your story reminds me of "Nora's Christmas Gift". I loved it.

Marcia said...

Judy, I got your blog from Quinn a few months ago. We have loved keeping up with you and your family...such great people you all are. You have definately been an inspiration to us with all that's been going on. I'm impressed with your humor and positive attitude and even admiting tears and frustration. I remember having those cookies at one time... I'm impressed that you even felt like making them. Feel free to check out our blog sometime. marciaslichta.blogspot.com. We're now in the Seattle area. I'd love to keep in touch with Heidi and Brent.