Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Proud, and proud of it!



I've been writing my personal history over the past couple of years. Here's a little paragraph about my introduction to the violin.

"In the fifth grade, Eugene Hellend (band director) came into Mr. Bauer’s class and, using a set of drum sticks, tapped out a series of rhythms which we were supposed to clap back. Shortly thereafter, Roy Halverson called my parents and told them that they should consider starting me on a string instrument. My first violin, borrowed from Etta Leigh’s attic, was taken to the violin shop, and after an incredibly long week of waiting, was finally ready to be taken home. I was most impressed by the inside of the case with its apple green velvet pile and the long satin ribbons where the bows were fastened. Our beginning violin class later formed the nucleus of the Second Ward string orchestra and included some of my best friends—Trudy Knell, Linda McFarlane, Linda Carpenter, and Sherry Leigh. After three or four days of playing, I arrived at our violin class one morning with each of my sore fingertips carefully covered with adhesive tape. Mr. Halverson assured me that within a few weeks my fingertips would be toughened. He was right." I took private lessons and played with the University orchestra until I left Cedar. That is where I learned to love the music of the masters.

By contrast, this is my granddaughter, Elise, last year when SHE was in the fifth grade. No tape on her fingers. She's playing a concerto (from memory) and doing a pretty dang good job -- good bow control, good intonation, playing in the upper positions, double stops. I used to love playing with her, but since my stroke she can play circles around me. You go, girl. You've got a great future ahead of you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is really good!! I wish I hadn't quit violin.

Was that you accompanying her?

Aprilyn said...

Oops! Nate was signed in on my computer.