Thursday, April 7, 2011

Walking for the Cure


I've posted before about our four-year-old granddaughter who has Juvenile Diabetes. Difficult things happen in all our lives that require adjustments, patience, effort and sometimes help from other people. My stroke was like that. For a few weeks it consumed my life, but two years later my only thoughts about it are gratitude that my life is pretty much the way it always was.

I can hardly even comprehend Clarissa's life (70, 80, 90 years) managed and controlled by diabetes. Our greatest source of hope and comfort is the possibility that through research and medical advances that will occur during Clarissa's lifetime, she will be able to lead as normal a life as possible. For five years, her dad (Quinn) has studied cancer research. He will be finishing his PhD within a few months and has been accepted to do his post doc at Harvard where he will be switching to diabetes research. We are so thankful that he will become a small part of the solution we are hoping and praying for.

Randy and I are planning to be part of this year's Walking to Cure Diabetes event on April 30. We'll be walking with Clarissa's Crew. If any of you would like to donate toward Diabetes research you can read more about it and donate online here.

No comments: