Thursday, January 27, 2011

Coyotes


When we moved to Chicago from Utah we found it really delightful to see wildlife in our backyard. We loved watching squirrels navigate around the neighborhood traveling across the power wires and bunny rabbits hopping across the grass. Chipmunks put their little noses right against our glass door, and the occasional deer sauntered across the backyard. Less fun, but very prevalent were raccoons (yes, a whole family once made their home in our fireplace chimney), possums, and ground hogs. In the last decade we have often seen little foxes. But during the last few years we're seeing more and more coyotes. Right now there is a pair that seems to have taken up residence in our next door neighbor's back yard.

I've tried to catch them with the camera before, but they either see or smell me coming and hit the road. This morning when I pulled out of the garage, Mrs. Coyote was standing in our driveway. I guess she couldn't smell me because I was in the car. She stood there and let me take her picture.

Growing up, my dad raised sheep, and coyotes are not friends to sheep. A cold chill would race up my spine when I heard that a lamb had been killed. It made me nervous to have coyotes running around in our yard, so I googled coyotes and found out that there are hundreds of them running around in urban areas -- even up and down the streets of Chicago. Supposedly they are not dangerous and eat mice and rats, which is good. Over 400 of them have been captured and fitted with radio collars so they can be tracked, making it possible to learn a lot about their behavior. So move over and make room for a "not so cute and lovable" pet.

No comments: