Monday, January 3, 2011

Thank you, Danke Schoen, Merci


We received so many thoughtful Christmas gifts this year. Today was the day I had set aside to write our thank you cards. A friend was describing a Christmas card they received and said it was such a cheap card it ripped in half when they opened it. Not wanting to be accused of being "cheap" I went to Hallmark and bought three packages of cards. Isn't that where you go "If you care enough to send the very best?" Believe it or not, when I opened the first card I realized that there is a good chance that if someone opens one of these cards without being very careful it could tear in half. What can you depend on these days?! If you receive one of these cards from us, please know that we cared enough to send what we thought was the very best.

I've had a few etiquette questions about thank you notes and so I did some research this year. Here's some random things I learned:
1. You are never wrong to send a written thank you card.
2. Should you send a thank you for a gift that was given to you as a thank you? Yes!
3. Should you acknowledge a written note sent in lieu of a gift? Yes!
4. Can you email a thank you? Only for a simple kindness by a very close friend.
5. Is it necessary to send a thank you if you thanked the person personally? Yes!

Everyone likes to know that something you did for or gave to someone was appreciated, but sometimes when I know someone well I like to tell them that part of the gift is that they don't need to send me a thank you. I tell them, "Just say thank you now. There, you're done."

1 comment:

Tristen said...

I love this! We're about half done 'decorating' our Thank-you cards and almost are ready for me to start writing notes in them. It's kind of a process for us these days, but I love the tradition of Thank-you cards! I almost never get them but I'm so glad when I do. Thanks for the reminder post!