Friday, January 14, 2011

Keep Breathing


I've become interested in a new book -- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die. I thought it would be fun to count up how many places I have been and see how much I still have to do. On the frontispiece it reads: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away." -- anonymous. It has helped me be more aware of the breathtaking experiences I have but sometimes don't pay attention to. For instance:

This week I held a new baby not more than a few hours old. She was so tiny and perfect in every way -- beautiful long fingers with perfect little fingernails, little pink lips, a head covered with light brown fuzz. What a precious gift. It took my breath away!

Twice this week I've driven down to Champaign and back. I love that drive -- one beautiful farm after another. Each one is some combination of a well-kept farm house, barns, silos, granaries, and out-buildings. They are painted, in good repair, and immaculate. In the summer the fields are green and lush with corn and soy beans. In the winter, they have been "put to bed" by a loving farmer, often covered with snow, but powerful in the promise of coming spring. I can hardly keep my eyes on the road. It takes my breath away.

Today I had an experience you might not think of as "breathtaking". My computer crashed right after Christmas and my ever loving and generous husband (who thinks the very best might be good enough for Queen Judith) replaced it with an iMac. I don't learn new things quickly and have been concerned about my ability to convert to a Mac, but part of the purchase was the One to One option. I went today for my first tutorial -- an opportunity to have an expert sit with me for a whole hour and teach me anything I want to know. And I can go back any time I want to! The Apple store was a happenin' place filled with people of all ages who just can't keep their hands off of Apple products. Unbelievable! When I walked into that store it literally took my breath away!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm so excited you got the iMac! Good choice! You will come to love it....

Tristen said...

The Apple store and my iMac takes my breath away all of the time!! Congrats on owning the best of the best!! :)

Aprilyn said...

OH, that's awesome! Congrats on being a grandma again. I love holding newborn babies!! I hope you like your iMac. We would LOVE to own one.