Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sour and Salty Anyone?

I've always loved sour and salty things. Once in college after we ate all the pickles from a quart jar of my mother's homemade dills I drank the entire jar of pickle juice. Then, not feeling so good, my roommate said that baking soda was good for settling stomachs so I mixed baking soda and water and drank that. That was an interesting experience!

Someone shared this recipe with me and it sounded really good -- chicken, tomato chunks, fresh basil, grated asiago cheese, white grape juice and lemon juice -- sour and salty, just like I love! But in reality, it was kind of disappointing, SO here's a sour and salty recipe that we've loved for years. Stuffed in a pita pocket it makes a great lunch or even dinner with a cup of your favorite soup.

Tabouli

1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup bulgar wheat
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley, packed to measure
1/2 cup minced green onions
2 tomatoes, chopped
Pita pockets

Bring water to a boil and pour over bulgar wheat. Allow to cool. Combine with all other ingredients. Chill. Stuff into pita pockets to serve.

And now I'm off to Champaign to see my two-hour-old granddaughter!

1 comment:

Aprilyn said...

Oh how wonderful! Is she Quinn and Tiffany's baby? I can't wait to see pictures! Congratulations Grandma!