Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Our Not so Famous Children


It would be interesting to know how many famous musicians had performed at Orchestra Hall (See yesterday's blog). I know that Yo-Yo Ma is performing there tonight. I would love to be there for that! Over the years there have been a few "not so famous" performers. In August of 1981 Heidi and Travis performed on that very stage. Yes, we are the proud parents of two of those little dots! And if you know where to look, you can zoom in and see that Travis (front row) has very good cello form. While you can't see Heidi's violin form (third row) you can clearly see that she has the cutest piggy-tails on stage!

I have two memories of that evening. First, it was very difficult keeping a six and seven-year-old awake long enough to perform. Suzuki concerts always begin with the most accomplished musicians and work their way backward so that every performer plays the last number -- Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. It took a ton of shaking, jiggling, bouncing, and expensive gingerales to make sure they were still on their feet when it was their turn.

The second thing I remember was watching the stage technicians. They are union people, and they are responsible for every piece of equipment and the safety of all performers. Believe me, no musician so much as moves his own music stand without assistance. Five hundred children between the ages of 3 and 18 performed that evening. While they jumped and jostled their way around the stage, the technicians definitely had that "wake me when this is over" look in their eyes. I wonder if they have ever experienced another evening like this!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Aprilyn said...

I vaguely remember playing in a concert like that when I was little. I think I was terrified and didn't want to perform if I remember correctly. I think I remember being in a concert with Heidi. It was so long ago now that I'm really fuzzy on the details.