Monday, March 10, 2008

Orchestra Hall

Saturday night we had a "way cool" experience. One of our Christmas gifts from our children was an evening at the Chicago Symphony. It is always an amazing experience to be at Orchestra Hall. As you can see, that upper balcony is way up there.

We've sat in the upper balcony a time or two. For me, it is literally a "dizzying" experience. I feel like if I lean forward I will fall straight onto the stage.

Saturday night we sat in the Terrace Section -- a few seats that actually ring around the back of the orchestra. This was the view from our seats. It feels and sounds like you are sitting right in the middle of the orchestra. Having played in an orchestra for many years, I always enjoy watching the conductor, but watching him from behind can't begin to equal watching him from the orchestra's view. I kept expecting him to point to us and cue us in. Whenever we go to the symphony (we are not regular attenders) I try to purchase a CD of at least some of the music we enjoyed. Listening to it once is a delightful moment, but listening to it many times makes it a friend for life. This morning I purchased and downloaded Schumann's Symphony No. 3 in E-flat Major, Op. 97.

To be continued . . .
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Aprilyn said...

I think I'll go listen to that song. I love listening to Classical music. It's all we ever play in the car now. Marshall gets too irritated with any other kind of music. He is so agitated all the time that he NEEDS the calming influence of good music.
I'm glad you had a good time. How did your weekend with Clarissa go? Did she remember you?