Saturday, March 1, 2008

Rolls

Not very many people still make their own dinner rolls. So if you do, you get asked to take them to everything. Last night was the CES Teacher Appreciation banquet and satellite broadcast. Yep, I got asked to make the rolls. My recipe makes five dozen rolls, and I got to figuring that if I have made rolls once a month (a very modest estimate) for the past 30 years I have made approximately 22,000 rolls. If that seems like an exaggeration, just take a look at the pan! Here's the Recipe:

Mix together:
4 cups warm milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 c. yeast
Let stand 10 minutes.

Add:
4 eggs
5 cups flour
Mix for 2-3 minutes and let stand 15 minutes.

Beat down and add:
1 cup oil
4 teaspoons salt
7 cups flour
Mix for 3 minutes
Add 1/2 stick butter and mix another 2 minutes.
Let rise until double in bulk (about an hour).

Pinch off a grapefruit sized piece of dough.
Roll out into a 10-12 inch circle.
Spread with softened butter.
Cut into 8 wedges.
Roll up and place on lightly greased baking sheet.
Allow to rise until double in bulk (about 45 minutes).
Bake 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees.
Makes 60 rolls.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am so glad you have taught me how to make your rolls. When I make them, they still don't taste quite as good, but with 20 years of practice, they just might!

Britt said...

Wow! I can hardly believe how far behind I was on your blog. So I just have to say... cute nephews, yummy rolls, February, and free gems...all things I would be sad to live without.

Aprilyn said...

Thanks for posting your recipe. I know your rolls are delicious. I want to learn to make my own too!

ellen said...

Those look like the butterhorns my mom always made. I'm going to try out your recipe!

Kristin said...

They look SO good...I haven't made homemade rolls in quite a while. One of these days I will have to give your recipe a try.

Diane said...

Judy,
Thanks for this great roll recipe. Do you have a good hot fudge recipe? Bill says you have good everthing!

Diane Grubbs.

Oh by the way. Stefanie is engaged to be married to Will Hatch as of Feb 29. Just think he only has to remember that special day once every 4 years. They will be married in the Salt Lake Temple on May 16th 2008.

Tristen said...

Judy!! I cannot believe that this post was from 2008, cannot believe it. I was asked to make 5 dozen rolls for a funeral on Wednesday, and I immediately decided to make your rolls and have spent the better part of an hour scrolling through your blog seriously believing that it was posted this year, then maybe last year. But 2008?! Time flies! And I remember your posts! I love your blog, scrolling through it has reminded me why I've been missing your posting lately. Hope you are happy and healthy!