Monday, March 24, 2008

Lonely

I'm feeling lonely today. Last week was Randy's Spring Break. We've spent the last few spring breaks in California (which would have been a wonderful place to be this past cold week), but Randy is leaving for India next week and has stake conference the week following his return. With so many things on his plate we decided to stay at home and get some things done. We made a list of 32 things that needed our attention (some big and some small). We fixed the shower, worked in the yard, prepared conference talks, and completed a number of home projects. It was a wonderful week, not only because we got a lot of things done, but because we got to spend so much time together. We ate out every night -- not anything fancy, but just so we didn't have to stop to cook and clean up. We slept in every day and savored the morning time we got to spend together. We went to the temple. When the temperature hit 40 we went for a long and invigorating walk. Every night we did something fun -- a movie, a video, we went to Drury Lane to see Sweet Charity. We went to dinner with friends (their treat, wooohooo!). We hosted a 5-stake council meeting here and after everyone left, we spread out in front of the fireplace and enjoyed the dying embers. We shared journal entries and had long conversations about talk ideas.

It's Monday. Randy's gone back to work. I'm feeling a little empty. We're at a great stage of life. Can't tell you how grateful I am that I have someone to grow old with!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Aprilyn said...

I think someday I will enjoy growing old too. Right now I'm hoping to survive today.. :)

Alisa said...

Sounds like a fantastic week. I am sure this week will go by in a flash and he will be back home to his lovely wife.

Britt said...

Way to make me tear up you two love birds!

ellen said...

What a nice time in your life!

Kristin said...

Sounds heavenly! I am glad you had such a terrific week. You both really deserve that kind of a break.

Last Christmas much of my extended family was gathered in California and my sister told me on the phone that she felt sad for me because I must be lonely...

My response was thanks for her concern, but that I can't even go to the bathroom in peace, and that rather than feel lonely, I sometimes crave loneliness.

If you are ever truly lonely, you are welcome to come on over and experience a flashback to your years of a houseful of children, when I would imagine that you never felt lonely.