Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Quinoa

Last week I learned about quinoa (pronounced keen-wah). I had never heard of it before, but apparently it is a very trendy and popular grain right now. I guess it is technically not a true grain, but the botanical fruit of an herb plant. But it is treated like a grain in cooking. Nutritionally, it is considered to be one of the most perfectly balanced grains.


So, I made this salad which we really liked.

Lemon-scented Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 can garbanzo beans
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup craisins
2 oranges, peeled and cut up

Tahini Dressing:
1 garlic clove, smashed and chopped
1/4 cup tahini
Zest of one lemon
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt

Rinse quinoa in a fine-meshed strainer. In a medium saucepan heat the quinoa, water and salt until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa fluffs up, about 15 minutes. Quinoa is done when you can see the curlique in each grain, and it is tender with a bit of pop to each bite. Drain any extra water.

While the quinoa is cooking make the dressing. Whisk together the garlic, tahini, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil. Add the hot water to thin a bit and then the salt.

Toss the cooked quinoa, beans, cilantro, red onion, and half of the dressing. Add more dressing if you like and season with more salt to taste. Add the craisins and oranges.

This makes a tasty and satisfying meatless meal. I think it will be a great summer recipe!

3 comments:

Britt said...

Wow! Looks yummy! Does it ship well by any chance?

Alisa said...

So, your picture looks much better than my picture of this, do you mind if I copy it and put it on the recipe blog?

Tristen said...

Judy!! I just discovered Quinoa and Quinn reminded me of this post! I read the post, but I guess until you discover it for yourself you don't click! Thanks for this recipe, I'll make it very soon!