Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Calling all Shepherds


Today I put the headdresses away. We get them out on Christmas Eve for our Shepherds' Feast. We have a recipe for meat and vegetables that you tie up in a parchment paper bundle and bake. If you don't overbake it (which happened to us this year), it is really delicious. It's kind of a fun Christmas Eve tradition.

Shepherds Parchment Dinner
Serves 10

10 chicken breasts, rubbed with garlic and sprinkled with Lawry's seasoned salt
4 c. red potatoes, washed and diced
3 c. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 c. cooking apples, sliced
3 c. carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 c. diced celery
1 c. raisins
1 c. craisins
1 c. pecans, chopped coarsely
2 bunches green onions, chopped
2 t. cinnamon

Tear parchment paper into squares. Place chicken breast in center of square. Toss all veggies, fruits, and cinnamon together. Heap veggie mixture on top of chicken breast. Bring the 4 corners of the paper up. Tie into a bundle with string. Put bundles on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Can be eaten from opened bundle, or emptied onto plates. Top with Orange Sauce

Orange Sauce

1 c. Campbell's beef consomme
1 c. Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 c. orange juice concentrate
1/2 c. currant jelly
1/4 t. minced garlic
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. onion salt
1 t. dried basil
1/2 c. melted butter
Mix together and heat. Serve hot
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Aprilyn said...

Hi Sister Peterson. I think I will use your recipe next year. I sure miss you and your family and wish we could visit soon.
I posted a tribute to my Mom on my blog since yesterday was 15 yrs since she died.

rebecca said...

How's this for a small world? I googled "shepherd's dinner" b/c a friend of mine I knew from the Arlington Ward who is now in UT did this with her kids and I was searching for different ideas. So, I come to your blog and see EP's name on your blog roll. I clicked on your "Boston" post and come to find out your Judianne's MIL! When we moved to Arlington, we moved into Randy and Judianne's apt. How fun is that? Anyway, thanks for sharing your shepherd's dinner tradition. I think we'll do a version of this tomorrow night. The parchment dinners sounds easy and yum! Simple is the order of the day this year.
Merry Christmas! -Rebecca Menzie