Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Slice of the Past

I happened to be looking through an old journal and came across this post which was recorded 26 years ago today. So here's a little slice of my life from January 15, 1982.

"I want to quickly record a few things before the children come home from school. This morning I met with Joyce Smith to receive the materials for the Young Women's program. Just before Christmas, the Bishop and Paul Smith came to the house and asked me to serve as Young Women President. I was not well prepared for the call (I had six children--the oldest not yet in YW and the baby not even 2 years old). I told the bishop that I would give it prayerful consideration and discuss it with Randy, but that I would have to receive a burning witness that it was right before I could accept the calling. Over the next week I prayed about it and deliberated endlessly. The burning witness never came. But, in a quiet way, I began to feel that I should accept the call. I kept thinking of the scripture, 'If you would know of the doctrine whether it be of me, ye must do my word and then ye shall know.' I hope that if I try to serve diligently I will receive a stronger confirmation that this is truly a calling from God. I know that I will need His help to fulfill this stewardship and take comfort in knowing that if He asks me to do this, He will be there to guide me.

"What I actually started out to record today was two little things:
1. Robert (5 years old) asked me this morning why I had so many phone calls. I said, 'Oh, probably because I'm such an important person.' He looked at me startled and said very honestly, 'You are not.'
2. Quinn (not yet two) has been going around the house singing a song the last few days. I finally recognized that it is Jingle Bells. He carries the tune very well, although the words are not recognizable."
I'm grateful for all of the journal entries I have made over the years. I only wish I'd been more consistent!

2 comments:

Britt said...

I'm sure if asked now Rob would happily admit that you ARE such and important person.

Aprilyn said...

You are definitely a VIP in your family and mine! Marshall has been singing that song lately but he sings "I'm a PIP in my family.." I really need to write in my journal more.