Monday, January 28, 2008

Good-bye, President Hinckley

Do you think there is a Mormon blogger anywhere who is not posting about President Hinckley today? This is a day that we have all known was coming, yet we are saddened to have to say good-bye. He has been such an incredible example of strength and commitment. Reading Sister Hinckley's book, Letters, (which I absolutely loved) gave me a better glimpse into the rigors of President Hinckley's life and travels. He always pushed himself to the limits of physical endurance, yet was always so positive, so cheerful, and yes, even funny! I have such a tender feeling for this man, who, along with President Kimball, has most touched my personal life and spiritual growth. President Hinckley's son, Elder Richard Hinckley, called Randy to be stake president. When I arrived at the stake center, Elder Hinckley was talking to his dad on the phone. President Hinckley's health had begun to fail him, and Elder Hinckley was checking up on his dad. When he asked President Hinckley what he was doing that day, President Hinckley said, "Oh, I'm just loafing." He paused and then he said, "But I've earned the right to loaf. You haven't, so get back to work." I often remind myself that I have not earned the right to loaf and had better get to work.

Randy and I have had a few personal treasured encounters with President Hinckley. In 1963, President Hinckley laid his hands on Randy's head and set him apart as a missionary. In April of 1987, Randy and I were in the Chicago Temple with Randy's parents when President Hinckley set his father apart as a sealer. Most recently, Randy and I had the privilege of celebrating President Hinckley's last two birthdays with him --at the ground-breaking of the Hinckley Center on his 96th birthday and at the dedication of the Hinckley Center on his 97th birthday. At his 96th birthday, we shared his birthday luncheon. I was able to hand deliver a birthday card from my grandchildren, Adam and Emily. After the meal, his family gathered around him (a large group, I must say). They brought in a cake with 96 lighted candles (the "no open flames" rule also applies on the BYU campus.) President Samuelson stood by nervously while we all sang Happy Birthday and then requested that President Hinckley quickly blow out the candles before he got into really deep trouble. With a little bit of help, they managed to blow out all 96.

This photograph was sent to me after the dedication with this information, "This photograph of President Hinckley was taken on the day of the dedication, and is a limited edition print (1 of 500) destined to become a family heirloom." I do treasure it.

We love you, President Hinckley, and will miss your quick smile, your voice, your twinkly eyes, your cane, your wit and your leadership. We are happy that you are with your beloved Marjorie again!
Posted by Picasa


3 comments:

Aprilyn said...

That is so great you got to spend time with Pres. Hinckley. He sure was a great man.

Britt said...

Thank you for sharing. We are so sad to think that our boys may not remember him very well, although he seems so real to them now. Accounts like this will help to keep his memory alive for them (us too).

Alisa said...

Thanks for sharing your stories of him. What a remarkable man.